Thursday, August 17, 2017

Carrying The Big Lummox Out Of The Rabbit Hole At Shining Rock


Pete here again and while it was great being out backpacking for two days this past weekend it was not easy.
We, again, went to the Shining Rock Wilderness for another of Will's backpack with the Harvey Brooms Group of the Sierra Club. I have to say Will is the World's Greatest Hike Leader and he has to be. The reason he has to stay in the back and sweep up the dead weight in the back...like, for example, the Big Lummox.

This is what I deal with.

Getting the pack ready.

The Hike Leader taking our group photo (he does it all).

I knew it was going to be a hard weekend when the Lummox chose to wear his winter boots because it was supposed to rain (It was only 80% chance) and he didn't want his feet getting wet, what a pansy! He should have worn his other boots because it wasn't long before I was paying the price. As we were heading up the beautiful bald of Black Balsam Knob, he started crying my foot is bothering me, so I had to lift him on my back so we could keep up with the deadwood in the back (not you Will your sweeping job is like wrangling cats). When we got to what I am calling Big Lummox Gap, he had to take off his boots to fix his boo boos. After he got his booties back on I dragged him up Tennent Mountain.

There we are lagging behind.

There were some nice views.

These "back of the packers" waiting on us (embarrassing).

Yes, we made it here, hard to believe.

Behind...again!

It wasn't long before we headed down the Art Loeb, I first had to clear a "log of deadwood" from the trail (because we know the Lummox couldn't). After a break, I didn't need, at Investor Gap we headed down the Fork Mountain Trail to Kim's Gap and set up camp. Lucky the Fork Mountain Trail was pretty flat and easy, I needed a break. Since I had done most of the heavy lifting all day. While the Lummox stargazed I got some rest because I knew I would need it (how right I was).

Right before we had to clear the trail.

Investor Gap.

After breaking down camp the Lummox forgot to put the Moleskin on his foot, so it wasn't long before he was limping and I was carrying. The Big Lummox had to stop and put on some Moleskin, but he already had a blister...he is the definition of a tenderfoot. When we got to Investor Gap he but on those Keen Watershoes, I don't know why because I carried his ass the rest of the way. Oh, I also learned that deadwood bleeds. A course we were the last ones to the Investor Gap Trailhead I think we were passed by a snail. I just want to apologize to Will for the Big Lummox...he is just a wuss!

Camp.

Which is which...the Superhikers, backpackers & deadwood! (Photo by Will Skelton)

Guess what is faster than the Big Lummox!

No comments:

Post a Comment