Friday, August 11, 2017

From Roan Mountain To Hot Springs It Is Down The Rabbit Hole


Well, Pete here and this is my first blog with the new look the Big Lummox unveiled...I don't like it. Anyway, since my last post I have hiked twice, the first we headed to one of my favorite places the Roan Highlands. While not the most difficult of outings a true Hiking Rabbit like me can't resist the lure of the balds. Oh, the only thing I had to drag two up the trail on this day. We started from Carvers Gap, up the AT (Appalachian Trail), but before we could get going the Lummox forgot something, he carries more crap than a Kardashian. The hike up Round Bald was easy as pie. 


After enjoying a Cloudland view we headed down to Engine Gap. About a year-ago, this is as far as one in our party made it. But today we all made it to Jane Bald. While I was itching to head up not just Grassy Ridge Bald but out to Hump Mountain, it wasn't to be. I just glad no one in any of the hiking groups I go out with witness me turning around at Jane Bald...geez ( the Lummox didn't care he has no shame). Back at Carvers Gap, there was some dude dressed up as a Bigfoot. A course the Lummox had to get a picture, why encourage this behavior. 



Oh, we also went to the Miller Homestead and while I don't care about some old rundown house I like the overlook. It shows some of the peaks I have conquered.



Hike two is another area I like around Hot Springs. I will admit I know the Big Lummox loves Hot Springs and I do too. Hell, it is an AT Trail Town after all. Anyway, luckily on this trip I only had to carry one person up Lovers Leap Ridge. We originally were going hike to Rich Mountain but the Lummox picked a whimper hike. It is not bad, good views of the French Broad and a decent climb. I will say I enjoy Lovers Leap Rock because I like to watch the Lummox inches his way out to the point. Truth be told I had to carry him the first time...I think he should change his name from Russ to Wuss! 



We planned to hike to Mill Ridge and while I wanted to go there on the AT the Big Lummox wanted to hike back to Hot Springs and drive. Why do I hike with him?  The only good thing was I got to go to Bluff Mountain Outfitters. Once at Tanyard Gap, we hiked first to Mill Ridge and the look of disappointment on the Lummox's sad face when there were no sunflowers...priceless! Anyway, we hiked on out to Mill Ridge Pond to give us two-mile and six easy ones for the day. 



Neither hike was hard, but any day on the trail is better than one that isn't. Oh, I got an overnight this weekend with my favorite Hike Leader Will, oh don't worry there will be other deadwood like the Lummox, on this outing.


No comments:

Post a Comment