Friday, August 4, 2017

A Hot Day Blog From Hot Springs


It has been a while since I did a solo hike, but that changed Thursday as I hiked in the area of Hot Springs.
I first hiked up the Appalachian Trail (AT) from Hot Springs to Lovers Leap. This was my third time hiking up the AT here. Once leaving town one first passes by the Nantahala Outdoor Center before paralleling the picturesque French Broad River. Then it is up the AT to the sweeping views on Lovers Leap.









For the best, it is two-tenths of a mile before the trail junction, but it is a sketchy spot, but worth the effort. There is another view before the junction with the Lovers Leap Trail and one at the junction too. Like my trip in December of 2015, I continued up the AT. I came to a view I call the Narrow (as the photo shows). It wasn't long before I turned around and headed back.







I took the Lover Leap Trail back to the Silvermine Parking area and then the AT. Along the way, I kicked up a Black Rat Snake. Once back in Hot Spring I looked around town before heading for my second hiking spot at Tanyard Gap.









Like last August I decided to hike up to Mill Ridge and then to the Mill Ridge Pond (changed the name this year). Last year at Mill Ridge I found some nice views and Sunflowers. Well, this year there was only views. Overall, I did about six miles of hiking and I even got to stop at my favorite coffee spot...Laurel River Store, so it was a nice day out.









No comments:

Post a Comment