Saturday, August 26, 2017

It Is A Solo AT Day Hike At Camp Creek Bald To Big Firescald Knob


On Friday, I returned to one of my favorite spots the Camp Creek Bald area above Greeneville. I have written extensively about my hikes here. However, today instead of hiking from the Upper part of Jones Meadow I parked at the lower end and hiked the road to the Camp Creek Bald Fire Tower.



Once at the tower I headed down the Pounding Mill Trail to the Appalachian Trail (AT) I was surprised to find that the trail junction had been relocated. The Pounding Mill Trail use to junction with the AT heading left and right with the Northbound path going through a group of rhododendrons. Now it continues down about 20-feet to a dead end junction, Pounding Mill goes right while the AT goes both directions. It was a little confusing as which way was north-south, but I guessed left and I was right. I had to end up hiking the Blue Blaze Trail that leads past where the Greeneville Hiking Club sets up for AT Trail Magic. The reason, I had too much trash (rant soon) that I had picked up, so I to dump some at my car. 







Once back on the AT I hiked a stretch I had been on in over four years. I topped out at White Rock Cliffs, which I always enjoy. 



Then it was on to Big Firescald Knob, which I didn't make it to in April. This is one of my favorite AT spots so I enjoyed my lunch here and then "drink it in man, drink it in." 




On the way back I noticed the AT on a dead tree was almost gone. Also, there were new signs (again) for Jerry Miller Trail and Blackstack Cliffs, which was moved to a higher tree. 






After enjoying the cliffs I hiked back to Jones Meadow, picking up a cooler along the way (yes a rant later). I then road walked back to my car. This was another great day on Camp Creek Bald.





No comments:

Post a Comment