Thursday, August 24, 2017

It Is Back To The Big South Fork On The Honey Creek Loop


This past Sunday I made my second trip into the Big South Fork National River Recreation Area (NRRA) this time to the Honey Creek Loop Trail. My first trip to the Big South Fork NRRA was to the Twin Arches back in April, which is in Northwest corner of the Tennessee part.

The main entrance to Big South Fork...

...which Twin Arches is a part of...

...but Honey Creek reminded me of Pouge Creek Canyon.

This hike in what is also called the Honey Creek State Natural Area is in the Southeast corner of the NRRA. I had heard how nice this area is, but it is a two-and-half hour drive, one-way, for me. So, when this was scheduled by the Harvey Broome Group of the Sierra Club I decided to go (I only had to drive an hour there and back home).

That is creepy!

Quick stop...

...at the Sheltowee Trace Southern Terminus...

...on to the trailhead...

...Honey Creek Loop.

We had three others, Brian, Nery (not counting Pete and me) and on this hike Denise, better know as the Hike Leader, was out front of the outing. Since this is a loop hike there are two directions and we headed counterclockwise. The first part heads down through a woody area and wasn't too hard with a couple of creek crossings.  Then we enter the canyon area of Honey Creek. I will say it reminded me a lot of Pouge Creek Canyon (see photo above), which I also hiked the same day as the Twin Arches.

Nery & Brian...

...& the Hike Leader...leading.

Where we started the loop.

Straight ahead.

We ran into this guy at the start.

That is a mushroom.

Late summer trail, not too hot...yet!

The Hike Leader pointed out an interesting fact (that is what SC Hike Leaders do) that there is a lot of iron ore, which, as the pictures so, pretty cool. We then came to a small waterfall, which I don't know the name of. Actually, only two of the waterfalls here have names (I visited one and the main one I didn't), since this one doesn't I decided to call it Little Honey Falls. We then came to a rope cable going down further into the canyon.

Here is in the canyon...

...& the Hike Leader pointing out...

...Iron Ore.

Little Honey Falls.

More of...

...the...

...canyon.

Another cascade I am calling Canyon Falls.

We finally came to the junction with the trail up to the Honey Creek Overlook. There was a series of three ladders which lead to an overlook. While large the ladders weren't too bad. Once at the overlook offered a nice view of the canyon with the Big South Fork cutting through. After enjoying the view was back to the trail and it was about this time that I noticed something it got hot! I mean it wasn't bad when we started but at some point Heat Miser should up, it was hot and humid. My shirt looked like I had been swimming. It also took its toll on our group.

Sign for the overlook

...first ladder...

...second...

...& third.

The overlook...

...& the Wood Booger (notice the shirt...drenched).

Now the trail continued to earn its strenuous rating as it featured a couple of fat man squeezes  (also tall man ones).  Around the halfway point we came to two different rock formations. One called for climbing a sketchy ladder and the other had chairs made of rocks, both were cool.

Back on the Main Trail...

...with canyon...

...& Honey Creek.

Looks like a Krynoid.

The first "squeeze."

Tree over the creek...

...a little cascade.

Blue Mushrooms.

The second "squeeze," it was tighter than the first.

Halfway.

The ladder I climbed...

...to get a look at this...

...& this.

Later we came here to the "Stone Chairs."

What looks like a column is a dead tree.

We then came to a couple of waterfalls. One we had to climb (Step-Up Falls), then a no-name hidden falls (That I am calling Hidden Cascade) and the third had a name, Ice Castle Falls. I am guessing it is better in winter.

Heading toward...

...Step-Up Falls...

...Baby Bathtub...

...Hidden Cascade.

This cool formation...

...is at Ice Castle Falls...

...better in the winter.

The final part of the hike joined with two other trails; the John Muir and Sheltowee. It was also in this section that there was a junction to Honey Creek Falls. Because of time and our group was struggling with the heat, I passed on the falls...I will be back.

Two trails join with the Honey Creek Loop.

Moss & mushrooms.

The trail moved into the open...

...with white lichen.

There is cable here.

The hike ended like it started in the woods back to the trailhead. While hot and challenging it was a great day on the trail with better people.

Headed back...

...to the trailhead.

Goodbye Big South Fork NRRA.


No comments:

Post a Comment