Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Photos Galore On The Roan Highlands



Any trip to the Roan Highlands means plenty of photo opportunities. So, on Sunday when Deb and I traveled to the Roans it was no different. I have blogged about the hike up Round Bald through Engine Gap and up Jane Bald. Today there wasn't much different, except it was cool seeing all the Mountain Angelica covered with "drunk" Bumble Bees and a few "teetotaler" Honey Bees.





































The other thing I want to mention again was the "Wood Booger" I found at the Carvers Gap sign on our return. I found another Squatch there...yes it was a guy wearing a suit, but it was cool. I talked to him for a minute and he was charging for photos which some of the money going to charity. As it happened I forgot my cash, but I got a picture anyway. I told him that I would give him a shout on this blog so here it is...if you see him up there give him a couple of dollars.




We had one more stop on the day at that was the Miller Farmstead in Roan Mountain State Park. I had always wanted to go here, but every time I visited Roan Mountain, either I was pressed for time or I was just too tired, conspired to prevent me from visiting here. The farmstead preserves the life that people in the mountains endured and is a fitting tribute to them. David and Louise Miller first settled this hollow in 1870. Frank Miller who grew up here was also State Park's Interpreter for a time. The reason for the newspaper on the walls of the upstairs bedrooms was insulation "I call it 1930's wallpaper" Miller said  The farmstead was purchased by the State Park in 1969 and is a reminder of mountain life in the mid-20th Century.












While the farm is worth the trip there is also a great overlook with an incredible view of the entire Roan Highlands. You can drive or hike up (I chose the latter) and while nice today, I think the winter view would be even better. There is also an old family cemetery to the left of the overlook. Oh, remember all of this is free, so if you are visiting the Roan Highlands or the State Park it makes for a great stop.







No comments:

Post a Comment