Friday, June 23, 2017

Two Days of Rain, Vistas, Photos & Fun On The Grayson Highlands



It has been a year since I started hiking with the Havey Broome Group (HBG) of the Sierra Club and over 11 months since my first backpack with them. So, this weekend it was back out for another backpack with the HBG to the place I had my first one with them...the Grayson Highlands. As I already mentioned this is Will's annual trek out of Grayson Highlands State Park and into the backcountry of the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area (NRA).


This year we started from a different stop, hiking up from Massie Gap backpack lot. One thing that met us here was rain. I will say I wasn't surprised as the weather report all week said there was a good chance of the wet stuff in Damascus that means even better in the Grayson Highlands. So when we arrived in Damascus it was getting cloudy and these were dark. It wasn't raining when we arrived at Grayson Highlands State Park, but when we got to the parking area the skies opened up.




It started off hard but finally slowed, which gave us a chance to get on our packs and head out. It wasn't my favorite way to start, but the weather is the weather. We headed up the Rhododendron Gap Trail, there was some beautiful view of mist on the highlands.









At the junction of the Appalachian Trail (AT) and the Virginia Highlands Connector Trail, the rain stopped to the point of taking off my rain gear...bad idea. Just up the Connector Trail, in the distance, you could hear and see it, a wall of rain. While not the hardest rain I have hiked in (harder at Watauga Lake 2014), but this was a close second.




It was here that a tragedy almost happen. After I put my rain gear back on I discovered Pete was missing. I thought he must have fallen out back down the trail at that junction between one to two-tenths of a mile down the trail. Pete will have something else to say, but there was no way I would go back for my buddy! But he wasn't there, after.


Feeling a bit sad we continued to slog through the rain on the Virginia Highlands Horse Trail (VHT), but the liquid sunshine finally tapered off, but I was soaked (even my boots were wet). Oh, it also left a stream between us and the campsite, let us say slightly swollen. However, we all got across, but not all in the same place, at least I didn't tweak my knee again. Before we headed out for the final push to the campsite guess who showed up Pete! He was hiding in under my pack cover, I was so happy he was back.







The hike up to the campsite is off-trail and while uphill there were great views and plenty of Mountain Laurel. I have to say Will's campsite is a great one so, after setting up my tent (because I want it up before it rained) a number of us headed up to the small rock to take in the view. Then it was time for dinner, I had the Good-to-Go Bibimbap Spicy Korean Rice with Sesame, carrots, and spinach. I added dried kimchi and sriracha and it was really good! Oh, and Will brought the same one.










While a bit cloudy, I headed back to the small rock for a view of a pretty good sunset.








The next morning I headed up to the big rock this time for the sunrise. It was again cloudy, except for a small window right where the sun comes up, making for an excellent start of the day.









After a breakfast of a delicious Mountain House Eggs and Bacon (that is sarcasm) and breaking down camp it was back on the trail as we had reservations for lunch at La Cucina. Our trip back started out the way we came in, back down to the VHT.







Luckily for us, the swollen stream had gone down, so it was easier to cross. It wasn't long before we took a detour from the way we came in as we took a trail down to the AT.






From here the back half of the hike would be on this famous footpath, which was mostly uphill. When we finally reached the top I spotted a huge rock and since we were taking a break I headed up.








While it was tough in spots the vista on top was way more than worth it...wow!






After that, it was to the Appalachian Spur Trail, which was a nice, downhill stroll back to the parking lot. We then headed to the visitor center to clean up for lunch and finally got to see some ponies. Even with weather and almost losing Pete, this was a great two days on the Grayson Highlands.







No comments:

Post a Comment