Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Day Three Blog: Final Day Of Cliffs & Waterfall Hiking


The final day would be part driving and part hiking. First I helped cook breakfast after we were done eating, I had told Steve that I wasn't sure if I would do the first six miles of the day and just the back half, from Little Stoney Falls to Hanging Rock. Steve then asked if I would shuttle, which turned out to be a win-win. I got to rest my knee and we went to Bear Rock.





While a short hike (about quarter-mile out) it is a lot of bang for the buck. However, since the last time I was there, back in September of 2015, it had considerable fire damage from the autumn blazes. Even with some damage it still has a nice vista.





After enjoying the view here we headed down to Little Stoney Falls. Steve told me about a hike up to a rock cliff, just off the trail, when we are at Bear Rock.  It was a steep climb up, but a great view. Then there was an added bonus of plenty of Mountain Laurel. I then headed back to the first of the main Little Stony Falls.












Once the rest of the group arrived we headed out. While the group missed the second falls...I didn't. At the third, we stopped for a number of our party to take a dip (I had already put my feet in at the first falls). After an extended break we headed on down the trail.






I didn't see Johnny Molloy describe in his book, Five Star Trail Tri-Cities of Tennessee & Virginia, but there were three more nice waterfalls on down the trail. Near the end of the hike, we passed the namesake for Hanging Rock.








After getting back to Bark Camp Lake I dropped off some of our group and said my goodbyes. Before leaving I took a short trip down to the lake. Overall, while I didn't get that many miles in...around three (and 10 for the weekend) it was a great day and a great end to the three days of hiking and camping.



No comments:

Post a Comment