Saturday, June 10, 2017

Wood Booger's Top 5 Hikes Of Spring-Thru '17


It is hard to believe it is June as it feels like years since January in Trumpistan. However, I digress anyway since it is June that means Spring-Thru '17 has been completed. It was a season that featured a number of excellent hikes from the Smokies to Mount Rogers and places in between. Like the past few of these, the Top 5 will be solo hikes (I don't like to pit hikes with others against others). So with that said here are the Wood Booger's Top 5 Hikes of Spring-Thru '17...

Honorable Mention #1:  This Is A Three-Day Blog On Weekend With The Sierra Club (April 28 to 30, 2017) - Well, there were many highlights from the Tennessee Sierra Club Chapter meeting one of these were the two hikes on Saturday. The morning hike was to Pouge Creek Canyon. I had heard a lot about this place and it more than lived up to the billing. The afternoon hike was to the Twin Arches in the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area. While a short hike to the Twin Arches they are wonders to behold. These were two excellent hikes with lots of great people.

Honorable Mention #2: HBG Sierra Club Hikes in the GSMNP Mar. 4, Apr. 15, May 7 & 27, 2017) - Well, I had four hikes with the Harvey Broome Group (HBG) of the Sierra Club in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP). The first hike, in Cades Cove, started Spring-Thru '17 and the last of the season was on the Turkeypen Ridge Trail. In between was my first hike out of Smokemont and my 250-Mile Pin hike in Greenbrier. I got to see spring progress through these four hikes and there were great ones on top of that.

Honorable Mention #3: It Was A Big Bax Day At Margarette Falls (May 4, 2017)  - I had to include Bax first hike to Margarette Falls. This hike was a little tougher than I thought it would be as Bax had to be managed. He really enjoyed the water but wasn't the most sociable on the trail. I got to enjoy a waterfall and Bax got to enjoy his treats. Even with some issues, it was an enjoyable first hike with Bax.

Number 5: Off-Trail Hiking & Wildflowers At Laurel Run Park (April 5,
2017) - This is the closest hike to where I live and is always a good waterfall hike. What made this special was two-fold. First, was the wildflowers I was amazed how many different ones (over 20) it rivaled any wildflower hike including ones in the Smokies. The second I hiked off the trail to the base of Upper Kiner Hollow Falls. I had seen it from above but at its base was better. Overall a surprising day out at Laurel Run Park.

Number 4: The Vultures We're Circling On My Cut Short Hike To Buzzard Roost (March 9, 2017) - This might be a surprise for the list as I listed it as a failure. First, it was hard as hell and second I didn't make it to the  Appalachian Trail (AT) and Shelton Graves. But sometimes failure makes for an excellent hike. Also getting to Buzzard Roost was worth the effort. While hard this was a rewarding hike.

Number 3: A Picturesque Day On The Way To Laurel Fork Falls (May 17, 2017) - This is a hike, up the Blue-line Trail to the AT, I had done over 25 years ago, so it was time to return. Now it hasn't been that long since I was at Laurel Fork Falls as I came here three years ago from Dennis Cove. But this hike, on the Blue-Line and AT, offers some of the ridge lines of Dennis Cove, but some of the classic Creekside that you find in waterfall hikes. I can't believe I waited this long to do this hike again. Oh, Laurel Fork Falls was beautiful as always.

Number 2: A Change Of Plans Takes This Day Hike To Two Charlies Bunions (April 26, 2017) -  You know that my favorite hike in the Smokies would make this list. This is my fourth trip to Charlies Bunion, but my first in spring and the first time I went to what is called the Original Charlies Bunion. That meant added vistas on this great hike across High Country of the Smokies on the AT. So, for a Charlies Bunion hike to finish in second place number one must be special and it was...

Number 1: Finally Hiking Across The Mount Rogers High Country
(March 24, 2017) - What do you get when you combine a trip to the Old Dominion's Highest Peak, across the Virginia Highlands on the AT...Number One! I have hiked in the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area (NRA) before, but never to the mountain that gives the NRA, it's named. I had wanted to do this hike from Elk Garden for some time and as soon as the time change happened I headed up. It had sweeping vistas, forest, and the famous wild ponies. While there is no view at Mount Rogers you pass through a fir tree forest that smells like Yule. This was one excellent hike that I knew would be near or at the top...and it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment